Literature to get you into the Thanksgiving Mood
Well, it’s about that time of year again… Thanksgiving – the time of year when family and friends come together and remember what they are thankful for. Something I’ve noticed particularly strong is that my facebook friends have been posting every day what they are thankful for- kind of a month long thanksgiving. I love it! It got me thinking about all the things that I really love about Thanksgiving and why I love the holiday. 1) It is a time of year when I allow myself to eat whatever I want, at least for the day. 2) Out of town family members are usually here so I get to see people I don’t often see. 3) It kicks off the start of the CHRISTMAS SEASON!!!!!!! which is easily my favorite time of the year! So, although Thanksgiving is not technically for another week, I thought I’d post some of my favorite Thanksgiving themed novels and short stories.
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again… This novel will always be my favorite Thanksgiving novel. The spirit of the March sisters will forever live within me. If you have read the book, you know what I am talking about!
- An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving By Louisa May Alcott. This short story is so beautifully written. I love it. You can easily find text online by googling the title. It isn’t too long so when you have the time, give it a go and let me know what you think!
- Thanksgiving Night by: Richard Bausch. Not surprisingly, this novel is about family and the things that can divide us or bring us together.
- The Thanksgiving Visitor By: Truman Capote. This short story is based on Capote’s childhood memories surrounding Thanksgiving. It’s a must read.
- The Joy Luck Club By: Amy Tan. On one hand you might be thinking that this novel has nothing to do with Thanksgiving but I urge you to think about it again. Thanksgiving is a time of year where families come together despite their differences and learn to be thankful for what they have and each other. This is precisely the theme of the Joy Luck Club. Also, highly recommended.